Friday, June 24, 2011

The art of commuting

Tailgating, invisible blinkers, inconsistent speed, road construction, ever changing weather, and pretty much anything else in the book can be thrown at you if you commute.
I have the joy (and I say joy because I love a good highway commute) of commuting to and from work exactly 26minutes each way. I experience no road rage unless of course a transport decides he (and I say he because 99% of transport truck drivers are guys) absolutely needs to pass the transport in front of them (when they are governed anyway) and passes at a snail’s pace backing up traffic who will all follow insanely too close to each other eager to be able to step on the gas the moment that truck clears.

The trick to a good commute is a good on gas, peppy, heavy vehicle that can handle all weather situations. By all means don’t go get yourself a ‘smart car’ and put good tires on it. One windy day and the back tail wind off a transport is going to put your ass in the ditch. Also you know that really gross greeny-yellowish bug that commits suicide on your windshield on summer nights? That is what could be you on the front or back of a transport when the roads are icy. I drive a Volkswagen Jetta and let me tell you the thing is a tank. It’s so heavy wind doesn’t move it and tail wind doesn’t exist.
<- that could be you!

The next thing you need is RAIN-X. I cannot tell you enough about the joys of rain-x. You’re driving down the highway and BAM the sky opens and you’re hit with a torrential downpour and you’re freaking out trying to close windows or the sunroof etc, but in the mix of things you don’t even need to think about turning on your wipers. The rain will just bead and fly off. All the other cars will slow, some even put on their 4-ways, but you can maintain your speed and not use your wipers even once. Just keep up with the rain-x maintenance because you don’t want to be caught without it. I make sure it is reapplied with every oil change.

If you wear a low cut top or a skirt that reveals ANY leg be prepared for dirty truck drivers to radio ahead and you to be starred at as you fly by and the glances are so disgusting you want to shower the minute you walk in the door – ugh.

Also have a great radio station or selection of music you enjoy. Crank it up and sing until you lose your voice, it’s therapeutic. And, if someone in another car sees you – who cares? You are likely to never see them again.

If your commute involves city driving I feel bad for you. As that is where my road rage is unleashed. Don’t get me wrong, I love being down town I just wish it wasn’t so stressful and expensive (parking) to get in and out. For what you are going to pay to park in a decent lot I would prefer to hop on a decent transit (street car or subway) if possible.

The first cause for stress downtown is the people who refuse to signal. Like I am supposed to psychically guess where it is they are going and either yield to them cutting me off or slow down for the turn I didn’t know they were going to make. I secretly wish for someone other than myself to rear end them to teach them a lesson.

The second cause for road rage is the city bus drivers. Just because they are big they figure they can do whatever they want. They NEVER signal and just throw themselves back into traffic – then they spot some moron who missed the stop running beside the bus and decide that it’s a good idea to come to a dead stop to let them on and then hold up traffic even longer to make sure the idiot they let on the bus has the fare! However, in the city I work in drivers have been busted texting while driving amongst other things are ticked so I’m sure they do whatever they want to purposely piss us off more!

Also how about those idiots on major roads who decide they need to go left where there is no left turning lane and back up traffic when they could go an additional block to a light or turning lane and back track a bit and cause all the other ticked of people behind them to try to get over into another lane causing a slowdown/back up in both lanes. I hate those people.

Wow. I have rage just thinking about the rage and I’m staying in the city after work – wish me luck & Happy Commuting!

No comments:

Post a Comment