Friday, December 10, 2010

#33. Perfect your AM Stretch

People – it is important to stretch, especially as you age. I’m learning the hard way EVERY time.

I never used to stretch, not even before a run, not after a run, and especially not when I got up in the morning.

The morning routine goes like this: Alarm goes off – hit snooze. Alarm goes off again, wake up T and roll out of bed into the bathroom, where I turn on Much Music or Much More Music (TV on counter) and proceed to perform a one woman dance/rap show to wake the hell up – all to T’s amusement. T has stated on several occasions “honey you are not, nor will ever be a white rapper’. Constructive criticism is a hard pill to swallow before my morning mocha.

Anyway, nowhere in there is stretching. And then this week it happened.

This song came on:



I thought multiple body rolls were appropriate. Body rolls learned in my Zumba class performed in a supervised fitness centre where certified fitness professionals are on standby. I rolled to one side; all is well, rolled to the other and felt both a crack and a sharp pain in my neck. Knowing T was watching I turned off the TV and exited the bathroom – no need to give him ammo. I proceeded outside to shovel the driveway shaking off the neck pains, you know because I’m young, they’ll pass.

I get in the car to drive to work, turn my head to the right – excellent, turn my head to the left, excruciating pain while I feel something pull in my upper back. My mind automatically goes to those icy-hot or A535 commercials showing flaming back muscles that I never understood, and I contemplate being late for work to pick some up, but decide to suffer through. My actual thought process went ‘I do have time, but then I couldn’t get my mocha, hmmmmm, and if I applied it while at work I’d smell like an old person, so....., no, suck it up and suffer’.


So here I am suffering – 2 days later. Anyone approaches my desk from the left and the chair swivels -no turning of the actual head. But if T asks, the story is I slept on it weird.

Do your stretches people.






*I chose this pic for the muscles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment