Wednesday, January 12, 2011

#62. Make more money then you spend

Anyone have any good New Year’s resolutions? I think this year I’ve signed myself up for pretty much all of them. T made the resolution to not make any resolutions – what polar opposites we are!

After Christmas and our trip and the purchase of T’s birthday gift all ‘just because’ spending has come to a halt. This is very difficult when you have a lunch hour to kill every day and you work extremely close to a mall and EVERYTHING is on sale.

The purchase of a house and the plans you have for that house all include money, money in which I like to spend on shoes, and lunches, and clothes, and booze, and…..

So looking at the year ahead, and forecasting the purchase of a shed (I just can’t get excited over this), the purchase of new dining room furniture (a little more exciting), and finally the purchase of a new vehicle (as exciting as it’s going to get), it’s time to start saving the pennies.


How is this going to be accomplished you wonder? To start, no more Timmies mocha and bagel for breakfasts, it’s now herbal teas and homemade smoothies. No more eating out for lunch every day – time to start making lunches or learning to love leftovers. Ugh.

I’m going to start making use of the free entertainment I have at my house. No not T (although he is his own reality show), the Wii, the PlayStation, the treadmill, pvr’ing anything that I might find interesting, and reading borrowed books. Basically I’m going into hibernation until spring.

I’m going to attempt to not purchase anything except the *necessities until April 1st. This is going to be very, very hard. Deep breaths into a paper bag hard.

I’ve cut out breakfasts, lunches, and excess spending – any other good suggestions out there?





*Necessities include **groceries, the Saturday Free Press, gas, house cleaning services, and movie tickets


**Boxes of wine can be purchased at the grocery store so therefore they are considered groceries :)

No comments:

Post a Comment