Friday, February 26, 2010

Dressing for Longevity

Dressing for longevity has never been my strong suit. When I didn’t have a penny to be spending on clothes I’d be spending it on all the latest trends, which meant very high turnover for my closet. I’ve spent years sucking in, pushing up, and cramming into things that amounted to endless hours of discomfort. Women have come so far, and yet we still feel the need to put style ahead of comfort – why do we do this?

I spend probably three out of the five working days in each week in these :




I’m not one of those office women who wear winter boots into work and then change once I get here either. I shoveled my entire driveway this morning in these boots. They have become comfortable, and not to mention do absolutely amazing things for my height, legs and ass – and I’ve only done a face plant due to them once. I think I feel more awkward now if I’m not wearing heels? Do we as women adapt to discomfort as the norm?

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for cute flats or running shoes, but with only two days out of the week to wear them my supply is pathetic for being a female. All my ‘fun’ clothes have been replaced with ‘work’ clothes. My ‘fun’ clothes are starting to age me as they never get updated. I’ve got a few pairs of jeans that are in the rotation – but are hoodies still in? Please all you young people who get to wear whatever you want every day help me out? Also is there a ‘bench’ brand age limit?

In my quest to stay young and dress for longevity I have decided I must purchase something leather – has it ever gone out of style? I definitely won’t be purchasing leather pants as I’m an overly warm person and I keep envisioning that episode of friends when Ross is stuck in his leather pants. I’m leaning towards a jacket as I'll get the most wear for the $$. I’ve cashed in my airmiles and have gotten $200 towards anything at Danier Leather. (http://www.danier.com/) So the question becomes what color? What style? As I wear black boots more than not, I’m thinking black is what it’s going to have to be, but if I can get a deal, I’ll get a brown one too (shhhh… don’t tell T).

Here are my thoughts - but haven’t actually tried any of them on yet:



Your thoughts?









I have one favorite sweater from Ricki’s (http://www.rickis.com/) that I bought 12 years ago that still exists in my closet (Imagine knit green sweater very fashionable around the ‘Felicity’ era of TV). I’ve grown out and back into it many times, but I can never get myself to rid of it. Does anyone else have an article of clothing that has been around this long? Or do I have more issues than originally thought?


1 comment:

  1. I very much like the top jacket. As for old clothing, I still have my elementary school tee-shirts from kindergarten through fourth grade. I never wear them, but I'll NEVER throw them away...

    ReplyDelete