Thursday, October 25, 2012

Food bank

Next day of charitable giving... right here!

I had seen a barrel in the LCBO with a sign asking for donations.

LCBO = wonderful glorious place (ah.hem over priced) that provides me with an amazing selection of wines from all over the world, baileys for my morning coffee, Crown Royal for family events, and even the cheapo girly wine that T loves. Basically the only place you can buy liquor and specialty beers in Ontario as we Canadians can't buy booze in grocery stores or corner stores. Just in case any of my American readers were confused.

I had heard a news story on the radio one day that my town had a huge shortage for non-perishable items going into the holidays. They gave the numbers of people who required help last winter and stated that the number had increased this year. 

I couldn't imagine going to bed hungry, going to work hungry, going anywhere hungry. If I'm hungry there isn't much on my mind other than where and when I can find food. This often backfires as I'll get caught up doing something and not realize I've missed a meal and then get so hungry I want to gnaw off my arm so I end up grabbing fast food because it satisfies the need immediately without me cooking or making a mess in the kitchen. I can't tell you how many times over the summer I ate two Mediterranean chicken snack wraps and drank a large diet coke (Yay! Dollar drink days!) from McDonald's  I also ate those in the car as it was easier to eat and drive back home than it was to try and eat once I got home with G all over the place. I'm a multi-tasking pheen. 

Ok, back to my donation - here it is:
I know there is not much variety - but there are different kinds of pasta, lots of different kinds of side dishes, and organic Heinz ketchup - only the best stuff on earth. I thought it was funny that I donated American groceries to the Canadian Food bank. Not really supporting the local economy - but I could get more for the  money in the states, and the amount of food is what mattered. 

I looked pretty funny carrying this box in and placing it beside a few random items in a barrel, but oh well. I did my part. I am perfectly happy looking funny carrying this in as I'm hoping the others walking in empty handed felt a bit guilty and decide to donate another time. 




*IF there are ANY McDonald's people reading this - bring back the mediterranean chicken snack wraps and keep dollar drink days on all year and no one gets hurt, umkay :) *

No comments:

Post a Comment