Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Heart Pavement

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m in love with pavement. I spend a lot of time with pavement and it never talks back and is always good to me. You’re thinking a love for pavement is absurd; well let me tell you why.


I have an hour daily commute on a 400 series highway. This stretch of pavement sees me at my best and at my worst. It throws all kinds of conditions at me and I still love it. Not only does it give you the chance to wake up and catch up on news and events in the morning, but it allows you to clear your head of work issues before you walk in the door at night.

My routine is almost the exact same every day yet I never recall seeing the same cars on my commute, so therefore I’m not ashamed to blast my music as loud as it can possibly go, and sing at the top of my lungs. This act can put me in a great mood in the morning before I’ve even had caffeine. With the same stretch of pavement you can almost put your car on auto drive and have a one woman dance party all the way to work. Ever have a free hour daily to do kegel exercises? Do it. Thank.Me.Later.

This stretch of pavement also hugs me after a hard day at work. When just the feeling of getting on the highway and up to a high speed feels like you’re escaping from everything. Where you can cry (the ugly cry) and no one notices. Ugly cry for a half hour and you’re exhausted, so when you walk in the door and the crying is over normal not so emotional conversations can be had, or you are so exhausted you just go to bed and ta-da horrible crappy day is now over.

But that pavement is waiting for you again in the morning no matter what mood you’re in – it never lets you down. Once in a while it covers itself with a layer of ice and a ton of snow where you get to white knuckle all the way to work and back –but what is life if there’s not a little fear put into you now and then? After scary commutes I respect pavement all that much more.

You’d think once I’ve gotten home I’d want to stay away from pavement? Wrong. In my quest to accomplish all of my 101 tasks, I put on sneakers and hit the pavement running. Sometimes the pavement is co-operative and you don’t feel like you’re running at all, it makes every step go further and feel lighter. There are other nights where pavement hates me and feels like its shooting daggers through my feet with every step, making my route seem longer and longer. It’s those nights when getting to the end makes the trek that much more worth it. So even when I hate the pavement, I still love it for showing me what I can do.

In fact, I spend more time with pavement than I do with T most days. So maybe I’m having an affair with pavement? Let’s see, it’s reliable, doesn’t judge or talk back, loves me at my best and worst, and is always hard :). Having an affair with pavement – maybe not such a bad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment