Wednesday, May 19, 2010

#14. Read: “Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom” by Christiane Northrup M.D


This book is 830 pages and reads like a text book. Only I couldn’t read it like a text book as my mother (a librarian) took the book out for me and they frown against receiving them back full of highlighted pages. Also I would be lying to you if I told you that I read all 830 pages. I don’t have that kind of time – but believe me I tried. Last Saturday after getting 10 hours of sleep I decided I was the most awake I had been in probably months so it was a good time to put a bigger dent in the book. I read maybe 20 pages and then took a 4 hour nap.


There are 14 chapters in the book ranging from The Menstrual Cycle to Menopause and everything in between. Did you know that women’s cycles sync with the tides and moon phases (women’s cycle = 28 days – moon goes around the earth in 27 days, 7 hours, and 43 minutes), and that depending on what ‘issue’ has happened to you in life can predetermine what female ailment you will have?


I have discovered that perfectionism is a characteristic of the addictive system and I never saw myself as having an ‘addictive’ personality. Perfectionism is caused by the need for external order to cover internal chaos – but what internal chaos have I had for YEARS? Does internal chaos never pass? Supposedly my running could also be a sign of my addictive system - as if we use it to run away from stress (which is exactly what I do), or to disconnect from our deepest selves, it is no different from the addictive use of valium. Now I’ve never taken valium, but I’ve definitely experienced the runners ‘high’.


I skipped the entire chapter on pregnancy and birthing – why? Because I’ve read ‘You – Having a baby’, and it only confirmed my suspicions that Me-Having a baby is not a good idea. Actually whenever I talk to most women my age about children, their eyes light up and they discuss potential time frames and how many they’d like, and my mind automatically goes to the ‘Run Away’ scene from Monty Python’s Search for the Holy Grail.




Yes.I.am.crazy. How can one person link the thought of having a child to farm animals being used as weapons? Analyze.That.

Christiane Northrup is absolutely brilliant and there is nothing I disagree with her that I have read. She has great insight on women and how we have the power to heal ourselves when we look within ourselves for the root cause. You can find more information on her on her website HERE

Reading this book you will try to relate everything to your own experiences and will over analyze everything. You will find yourself waking up your husband from a dead sleep to ask him if when the moon is in the last quarter if he finds you more reflective. So for T & I’s sanity I have decided to change to some lighter reading for the long weekend. Who really has the time to read 830 pages and accomplish all 101 things? Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment