Wednesday, November 10, 2010

#85. Be a Dork

Often at work the discussions with co-workers become about books we are reading. A review in the paper on a book, or merely having one sticking out of your purse is enough to start a conversation about all things related to that book. Yesterday a co-worker showed up with a bag of books for another co-worker to borrow and a light went off. What about a company book exchange? We have approx. 50 female office workers within the company and a large portion of them read. So why not join my love for organization, reading, and saving money and create a company book exchange? It’s the perfect idea, and did I mention it looks good from an employer’s view also as company involvement. It won’t cost them a dime, except for a file located on a public drive, and maybe a book in a weekly pre-existing courier, and will increase employee morale.


So if this wasn’t being a big enough dork, I debated if I should set up the book exchange as an excel workbook, or an access database? Should I have one listing of all books, or alphabetical sheets for authors, which feed from individual employee book list sheets? Should it be color coded by employee? Yes, I’m THAT big of a dork, these were my thoughts on the drive to work today, that when I put the idea forward to my boss with shear enthusiasm and excitement it was automatically approved. Now I’m just gathering troops in my office to put together a list of their books at home and submit them to me. Sure it’s more work for me, but at least I’ll enjoy what I’m working on.

To disprove entire dork association with myself I will tell you of an embarrassing story - as I like to do this. While out on a run this week I ran by two boys outside playing with light savers – this is what I thought they were called. When re-telling the story within a group I was corrected as to the correct term - light sabre. “You know as in the Buffalo Sabres and their logo as sword type objects” – I always thought Sabres were a type of Buffalo, and had no clue what actual Buffalo Bill’s where? Some type of western villain? BLONDE moment. I also can’t tell you if a light sabre is from Star Wars or Star Trek? I’m not that kind of dork.

No comments:

Post a Comment