Sunday, April 11, 2010

Complete a ½ Marathon

I did it. It was one of those pinch yourself because you can’t believe it life moments. I don’t run. If a year ago you asked me if I’d ever complete a marathon I would have laughed in your face. I play golf, occasionally roller blade, and swim in the lake, but I don’t run.


Back in the fall I mentioned to a co-worker that I had started jogging every night (one of those I’m not going to get fat over the winter resolutions), and she mentioned how she was addicted to ½ marathons, and how I should make that a goal. Well, I’ve gotten up to running 5km’s a day, and 13km’s every Saturday, so I figured why not now before the weather gets too hot (I’m a fair-weather jogger).

For the last two weeks I’d go online and fill out the registration form only to get the end and not hit send with thoughts of “you’re crazy”, and “you can’t do this”, going through my head. Yesterday reached the highest point of self-doubt I’ve had in a long time. I was nervous and doubting my abilities and poor T had to reassure me over and over again, and wipe away many, many tears.

To take my mind off today, yesterday a few girlfriends and I headed state side to do some shopping. You see, not being a runner, I didn’t own anything that runners wear. You know that un-wanted wiggle that no one should ever witness? Well how about we highlight that fine quality in some shiny shrink wrap? This body has never seen spandex (nor should it have ever), and to me spandex is scarier than a bikini. At least in a bikini most people are just looking at the ta-ta’s and don’t notice the horribleness of everything else. Well, and I can’t believe I’ve done this – I’ve lost 40lbs. I put on the spandex and looked down and I didn’t recognize my own body. It’s a surreal experience when you don’t recognize yourself in a mirror. I haven’t worn a medium anything in at least a decade. After an “I can’t believe I’m crying in a Kohl’s change room” moment, I quickly discovered that no matter what size I am I can never wear lime green.

I didn’t sleep much, I couldn’t eat breakfast, but this morning I woke up determined. Before the race started I met a group of ladies who told me they run/walk, and they do it for fun – my kind of people. They stocked me up with these energy jelly beans, and disgusting gel energy stuff, and gave me lots of helpful hints and every time we past a kilometre marker they’d celebrate. Not only did we run and walk, but sometimes we danced (and you know how I love dancing). I stayed with them the first 11km’s until I just needed to put in my earphones and crank tunes in order to find the energy. When things started to suck (KM 13), a woman went by with a shirt that read ‘The rule of SUCK. It could ALWAYS suck worse’. That got me to KM 16 where I started questioning what the hell I was doing. My feet were starting to hurt, it was starting to get warm, the water stations were too far apart – all kinds of crazy things were going through my mind. Thank god Katy Perry & Timbaland came on and stopped the thinking, and started the very very very silent singing. Ok not that silent, but really you don’t care about much at that point.

The ta-ta’s abandoned ship at 19km’s. They decided to rebel against the constraints of the sports bra in protest as if my body was telling me to give up already, as I clearly wasn’t listening to my feet. Now you try fixing that little situation on a path with a ton of people - not fun, but again, I wasn’t caring. At Km 20, I could hear the people at the finish line and my eyes watered and I couldn’t believe what I was about to complete. It was at this point I met up with another first timer who was having a rough go and she and I finished together in 3 hours and 12 minutes.

I have 4 blisters on my feet, and my legs aren’t moving quite like they normally do, but I did it, and I did it before I turned 29, something I thought would take much longer to accomplish. And I’m hooked. I don’t think I’ll do another one right away, but I’ll definitely keep up my 5km’s a day – it’s become routine and pure stress relief.

If anyone reading this thinks you couldn’t do it - You can. I’m proof. This feeling is incredible. However, you might want to check back with me tomorrow morning after my body has seized up and I can’t get out of the fetal position. I will tell you that you should still do it, only I’ll also tell you to take Monday off work. I don’t foresee a café mocha and rap music getting a rise and shine outta my ass anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing Janine! I'm having tears just thinking of how proud you must be of yourself! Congratulations! I can't wait to read about your next half marathon, or maybe even your first full marathon!
    Way to go!
    Jessica Berilli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! congratulations, I wish I had that sort of motivation.

    ReplyDelete