Thursday, March 17, 2011

#57. Memorize your ring size

It’s 7 ½. I’ve never actually needed to know this, I actually had to go into a jewellery store and have them check my rings. The book states that you should know this in case you ever need to drop it in conversation with a potential suitor – I never did.

T proposed without a ring, and you know before the proposal if you would have asked me if I wanted the whole get down on one knee with a ring experience I would have said yes, but T made the proposal unique and it couldn’t have been better.

Ok… I’ll tell you.

T surprised me with a trip to New York for our second year of dating anniversary. Before we left he told me not to get my hopes up as he wasn’t proposing that weekend, it was just a trip away. I was of course sad, but excited just to get away.

We got to New York and he had planned eating at America's first pizza place Lombardi's (GO THERE, it’s amazing and has great character) in little Italy, shopping in Tribeca, a New York Rangers vs New York Islanders game on Long Island, and the sex and the city tour. (gotta do it once if you’re a fan). On the last full day in New York we decided to walk around Central Park which was absolutely amazing and is definitely one of my favourite places in the world. We walked all day only sitting for lunch in the boat house and my feet were killing me. I just wanted to go back to the hotel and put my feet up but T had other plans.

We headed over to Top of the Rock for sunset, waited in line for what seemed like forever to take the elevator to the top and once I got there it was breath taking. However with the sore feet situation I found a bench and happily placed my butt on it. T kept trying to get me to get up and see the view from different angles but the thought of other tourists taking my bench kept me planted on it. Finally when T realized my tush was not moving he came and sat down beside me and proposed while sitting on the bench! Not one knee, and no ring, but amazing. When I clued in to the fact that there was no ring he must have seen the look in my eyes as he stated that we were going to Tiffany’s in the morning! He then told me I could go to any restaurant in NY for dinner – you know what I chose? TGI Fridays! It was nearby and I was hungry.

Well of course I didn’t sleep that night….

We got up in the morning and arrived at Tiffany’s for when they opened. Of course we had already been there prior to this as I had pulled T in to look around when we first got to NY. I attempted to look nice, T was wearing a hoodie and jeans and looked completely out of place when they handed us champagne. We took the elevator to the second floor and approached the engagement rings desk. The sales woman stated “the rings start at two thousand dollars and go up to one million dollars” while she’s doing a gliding arm gesture over the display case. T being the comedian he is replies with “I think we’ll start at one million and work our way backwards!”

I picked out my ring in 6 minutes. I thought T was going to crap himself. I clearly remember him asking me a million times “are you sure?” as it was the most money he’s ever spent in the shortest amount of time. Of course then it had to be sized and with a flight to catch later that afternoon they put a rush on it and we went and killed two hours in central park zoo.

Back on the subway to the hotel T makes me hide my ring as he’d become paranoid we’d be jumped. So you know what I did while he was in this heightened state of paranoia? I said yes to the first lady on Canal Street who asked ‘you want to buy bag’ and followed her two blocks, through and alley, up two flights of stairs into a room behind a curtain. There I found every kind of knock off purse you could imagine. T stood completely still, was white as a ghost, and attempted not to crap himself.

So there’s the story. Oh and we didn’t declare the ring when returning to Canada, which made T break out in the sweats.

All in all, best proposal ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment