Thursday, March 31, 2011

#52. Confront someone who’s done you wrong

This one is going to be tricky as I can’t really reveal much about how this person did me wrong, but I can tell you the situation that went down last week.

I have this great friend who I email/talk to almost daily and often see each other every other weekend or so. She had given me a piece of information regarding something that could have changed part of my life and I accepted it. Then in the history of an email that hadn’t been erased to another person I read that what she told me was not in fact true.

My first reaction was hurt – why would she lie?

Followed by anger – I thought we were better friends?

Then I decided I would sleep on it to clear my head, instead of a reaction that could go completely horrible. Emails/phone calls/texts became unanswered and she started worrying - even contacting T.

Many times I composed an email, read it to T, and then didn’t send. I was questioning how important the friendship is and how to approach it without placing blame and causing a rift? What I really wanted to do is say “hey, maybe you should cut and paste certain emails and leave out the history”, but I didn’t.

I turned to T and other friends asking how I should handle it and all answers were to proceed with caution, but be honest.

So I did.

I replied to the original email first thing the next morning stating I had read the email history, didn’t know if I should be hurt or angry so had decided to give it time and wondered why I hadn’t been told what actually was going on.

I hit send and held my breath. Seriously, I love this girl; she is so much fun and makes the days at work go by quicker. We love the same shows, our husbands are two of the same, and I wasn’t sure what I’d do without her?

There was a perfectly good explanation. I read the history correctly, but there was a different angle to the information, one that hadn’t been discussed. She felt horrible, and apologized, and I’m extremely happy a confrontational over reaction didn’t occur, because life with her in it is just so much more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment