Tuesday, April 5, 2011

#65. Eat Soy & #29. Make brownies from scratch

Here is what I made to ‘eat soy’ - Omega 3 Broccoli Slaw

I saw this recipe and decided that it looked easy to make and would be a healthy lunch option to make ahead of time and then grab in the mornings on my way out the door. The recipe called for soy sauce so it couldn’t have been more perfect. While grocery shopping on the weekend I picked up pre-packaged broccoli slaw and everything else I didn’t have in the house – who has seasoned goat cheese lying around? It took more time I think to gather the ingredients it did than to make a ‘batch’. I made two batches with the second adding a bit more soy sauce for the purpose of later re-heating. T happened to be lurking around and was starving and ended up loving this recipe. I didn’t bother trying it, just packaged it up and put it in the fridge for lunches.

Today I pull it out for lunch and this is probably just me, but I hate the smell and taste of re-heated broccoli… yes I know I’m not very bright for not thinking of this prior to making batches. I got a few bites in finding the bites with the goat cheese to be the best, but ended up eating a sandwich that was catered into the office for meetings. I am a very picky eater, so don’t take my opinion of this recipe to heart, T absolutely loves it, and that’s good because I’ve got enough stuff for another two batches in my fridge.

After the making and the storing of the broccoli slaw I decided it was time to make the brownies from scratch. I don’t usually bake anything from scratch, cook – yes, bake – no. I looked up a recipe and decided I wanted to make it my own. I had purchased and laid out all the ingredients listed on my recipe, and I wanted a ‘peanut butter’ taste to the brownies, so I purchased Reese’s peanut butter cups to melt down and ice the brownies with.

While on the phone with my mother I mixed all the ingredients and put them in the oven, got off the phone, became distracted, and completely forgot I had anything in the oven. I don’t know why I have an aversion to using the oven timer – it drives T up a wall.

Anyway, 10 minutes after the brownies should have come out I catch a wiff of the smell from upstairs and run screaming “NO, NO, NO, NO” through the house. I pull them out of the oven and after close inspection determine they are not burnt, possibly a little dry.

Melting Reese’s peanut butter cups is extremely easy, spreading them over brownies before they harden back up again – hard. So I iced the brownies in sections and all in all, I think they turned out ok? Ok enough that T has eaten ½ the pan and opted out of dinner last night and just ate brownies. I can’t judge, my favourite Thursday night dinners are popcorn and wine in front of the TV.

Looks like cake, doesn't it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment