Tuesday, April 19, 2011

#80. Care about where your food comes from

It’s almost time for local farmer’s markets to get set up and start selling all of their produce and I can’t wait. With the cost of fuel going through the roof, and the fact that the majority of produce is delivered via truck, the price of food is going to increase.

So why pay higher prices for produce in the grocery store that come from Mexico (nothing against Mexico, I LOVE Mexico), when you can support someone locally and support your economy instead of Mexico’s – they get enough of our tourism dollars.

I am talking produce only. I am guilty of going over to the US and purchasing everyday groceries. Do I care that I am not supporting my local economy? no. Most items in the US are 20% cheaper, they have greater selection, and when they have a sale on something compared to the price here it feels like you are stealing it. The scene from the Ikea comerical when the lady comes out running "start the car, start the car!!" is exactly how it feels.


Sure there is gas at insanely high prices to get there, but fill your car up over there. You’ll thank me.

I have found that Canada has certain health regulations on products that the US doesn’t. For example their milk and cheese products – see THIS article. Just don’t buy those products if you are concerned. Or read the labels, if you know exactly what you need to avoid you can still find the products that meet Canadian regulations and they are still cheaper than here.

I also don’t tend to purchase meat in the US (as it is not supposed to come across the border), I always purchase a side of beef with my parents and stockpile our freezer once a year. I find that this option is great as you know where the cow came from (my parent’s friends), it is cheaper to buy in bulk, and lasts forever.

My aunt also has chickens so we trade empty egg cartons for full ones every time we are in the area.

Am I going to pay the insane prices for ‘organic’ produce? Not until the label ‘organic’ is regulated. The local farmers will continue to receive my produce purchases. I think your health and wallet will greatly appreciate it if you inform yourself of what you are putting in your body.

And, no matter where you are – buy local produce (if possible) !

No comments:

Post a Comment