Thursday, December 17, 2015

Couch potato time


Most people would assume after hearing my distaste for Christmas music I would also dislike Christmas movies. Wrong! I love a good Christmas movie. I do however not love the classics like White Christmas, or the original Rudolph the red nosed reindeer (that snow beast is terrifying), etc. I will even sit through those cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies this time of year. This is the ONLY time of year when my inner movie critic is somewhat nice.

Family tradition (one my father started) has been to have National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on the TV at some point Christmas eve. No one (but dad) actually sits through the entire movie, but it is not Christmas eve without it. I'm not sure there is a person on the planet who hasn't seen this movie by now?

As a kid I loved Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. I watched it yearly probably into my teens and now own it for my kids to watch. Last year I put it on for G and was asked where Elmo was and then he lost interest :( Maybe I'll make another attempt at it this year? I found a less scary version of Rudolph the red nose reindeer last week that held the kids attention, and today I put on Arthur Christmas and G loved it. They have watched The Grinch twice, and a few Mickey Mouse Christmas movies. I really want them to see A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa & maybe The Muppets Christmas Carol - however, I think they are a bit young. Another on the list is The Polar Express.

And when they get old enough of course Home Alone - do I have to let them know they made sequels? 

I walked into the room the other night and T had Elf on for them! Had to shut that one down quickly.

So many movies so little time!

Three favorites of mine are The HolidayLove Actually & The Family Stone. I can watch them a million times and still love them. Another (not Christmas themed) that I usually watch this time of year is Autumn in New York. I love that movie.

I wanted to see Love the Coopers but missed it in theater. It looked like a good (funny) family Christmas movie. Tonight I'm going to watch Christmas Eve on the couch, under a blanket, with some popcorn, & I might even toss on the fire place. The countdown to bedtime is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment