Sunday, December 6, 2015

Silence. Please.


Torture. Headaches. The urge to drive the car off a cliff - All things that occur the second a Christmas song comes on the radio.

I hate Christmas music. I don’t know what it is about it specifically? The repetitiveness, the perkiness, the absence of ‘new music’? It is always the same songs sang by different people. It might be better if say they were played from December 1- December 25, but no, they gotta start that shit in October.

Over the years luckily I have been able to avoid Christmas music to the point of being able to forget the words. Until now. All those years of precious silence undone. The kids are now at an age where they want to sing about reindeers and Santa and jingle bells, and they want me to teach them.

We started with jingle bells. They caught on quick. They then proceeded to sing the verse over and over, and made it a game as to who could sing it the fastest. Pure torture, especially on long car rides.

Next we moved onto Santa Clause is coming to town so that I could drill the concept of being good this month into their heads. They are not as great at this song, but while out shopping last week a store played it and A put on an amazing dance show in the middle of the aisle. Pretty damn cute.

That is as far as I’ve gotten. It is also as far as I want to go. G has taken to creating his own Christmas songs and I’m fine with that. It is new music.

I do have a favorite winter song. Not Christmas, just winter. I’ve loved Sarah McLachlan’s version of ‘Winter’s night’ from the first time I heard it. It is in NO way a Christmas song.  

Now, on my quest to learn the words to more Christmas songs so I can teach them to the children (torture, pure torture), I have purchased two Christmas CD's by artists I like to try and make the experience more enjoyable (failing so far). However, the albums themselves are great if you enjoy Christmas music. So, (by pure coincidence sticking to Canadian artists) I suggest Jann Arden’s 'A Jann Arden Christmas' & Blue Rodeo’s 'A Merrie Christmas to you'.

I am not sure what the solution is to my distaste, but I do know living with it was far easier before I had children. Now please excuse me while I plug my ears for the next 19 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment