Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The lighting of the outdoor lights


Holy crap look at this; I’m here two days in a row!!

Today I’d like to discuss Christmas lights. While out on a run (who am I kidding?) walk last night I’ve discovered how particular (using nice word) I am with outdoor Christmas lights.

I know Christmas lights aren’t cheap – but if you are going to do it, do it right, or over a long period of time like I am.

Christmas colors to me have always been red, white, & green. When multi-color hit the market I wasn’t a fan. Never ever has an entire house decked out in blue (sorry not sorry parents) screamed ‘Christmas’ at me, but to each their own.

Another issue are those people that just put lights on the lower portion of their house, like along the top of the garage, or bottom roof line, however their house towers above and may have peaks that would look amazing lit up. To me that is a half-assed job. This is why my house does not have lights along all the roof lines. T does not care about decorating and I’m too fearful of getting up that high alone.

We have been in this house 6 years and I have always put a Christmas wreath on the door. In 2013 I added a small lit Christmas tree to the front porch, in 2014 I added red, white, & green lights to the bushes in-front of the garage.

I have always since day one wanted a big wreath over the garage. However, always around the holidays money was tight and they were insanely priced or I was broke when they went on clearance in January. For those of you with spare cash - hit up Hobby Lobby - pricey but nice!

This year I decided to make my own as cheap as humanly possible.

First step: Take one of the kid’s hula-hoops I bought on clearance in the fall (because they are too young to hula-hoop anyway, and my skills are so far gone it's embarassing. Wii fit LIES.)

Second step: Wrap a 9ft garland around the hoop. It looked sad. I watched the buy/sell site and bought an 18ft pre-lit garland used for $15.  I pulled the lights off and used them on my mantle where a strand burnt out last night.


Third step: Wrap a strand of LED lights around the garland. I had bought this last year in January on clearance thinking of this project.

Fourth step: Buy a $2.50 big ass red bow from the dollar store

Ok so to this point not using what I had already (hula hoop, one strand of garland, lights) I spent $17.50.  To purchase those items it’d be roughly another $30.


Next I had to figure out how to hang this wreath. Off I went to the hardware store to find an employee who looked knowledgeable. Out I came $16 later with a concrete drill bit (I already own a hammer drill), a plug, and a hook.

So there I am this afternoon outside on a ladder with G (now almost 4) as my helper putting up this wreath. I’m very proud of the hook/hang job, but I hacked hiding the extension cord. I ended up using some of those 3M command clips & duct tape. Always duct tape!!!

It’s up, I’m happy with it. T came home, drove right under it, didn’t even notice. I’m not telling him either. 

I may have a dream of one day lighting up those big blue spruce trees.............



No comments:

Post a Comment