Saturday, December 12, 2015

Who wants cookies?!

My idea of making Christmas cookies last week involved buying the box of Pillsbury pre-cut cookies (star wars themed) rolling them in red & greens sprinkles and calling it a day. The kids loved them, but I felt I was robbing them of the experience I had as a child of decorating cookies of all different shapes and sizes.

So today I packed up the kids and drove 1.5 hours to my parents house to make Christmas cookies. I envisioned a thick layer of icing and sprinkles covering everything within sight. Better this happens at her house than mine!

We got here and the kids wasted zero time. The cookies were baked yesterday and the kids got to pick what color of icing they wanted - A pink, G green, and a yellow was made.



My mother then did something genius. She created the kids work surfaces out of cookie trays. Sprinkles were all contained. Then the genius wore off when she handed the kids bowls of icing with kid sized knives and thought they would ice their own cookies. I very quickly intercepted a knife covered in frosting before it entered A's mouth. The sprinkles I couldn't stop. Both kids definitely ate more sprinkles than what they put on the cookies.

In the end three dozen cookies were decorated. I think six have been eaten, and there are quite a few sprinkles on the floor. It doesn't matter, the kids are having a blast with Grandma and I am dreaming of a peaceful few minutes alone tonight in the hot tub :)

No comments:

Post a Comment