Thursday, May 26, 2011

#10. Travel Solo

Driving solo is something I absolutely love to do. It is also probably the best for me and the safety of others that I drive alone. I am one of those people who should hand out personal protective equipment of ear muffs so you don’t have to listen to my singing or swearing at other motorists.

Staying in a hotel solo I don’t do so well. T is in hotels across North America so often whenever we do stay in a hotel it’s free due to his points. He makes every hotel room into his own comfort zone and seems to stay in hotels for weeks with no problems as long as I’m home when he calls to ward off being lonely.

Back in elementary school when the bullying became too much I was pulled from school and sent to live with my relatives across the country. I had driven out with my Aunt & Uncle and had to make the return flight home by myself. I was of course nervous, but I knew there was going to be family at the other end. I’ve also taken long train rides, but there is always someone there at the other end.

I had the option given to me at work to travel to TO and stay in a hotel for two nights while attending software training during the day or I could participate in weekly webinars and not go anywhere. I chose the webinars (which are a joke). I didn’t fear the drive, or the training, or really being on my own in TO as I once lived there, I just didn’t want to be there alone. I didn’t want to have to eat alone or find stuff to do on my own so that I wasn’t sitting in my hotel room.

Now that being said, I often do some of my best shopping alone. Sometimes prefer it. Grocery shopping I’ll stick in some headphones and make an hour or so out of it. Clothes shopping if looking for something specific is easily done alone.

Would I go to a movie alone? Maybe…. I haven’t really had that opportunity arise. Would you? Say you had a few free hours and a movie only you wanted to see was playing nearby, would you go?

Over the year I’ve wondered if I could just jump on a cheap flight and go explore Boston or San Francisco alone, as I’ve always wanted to see those places, and the answer was always ‘No’. I want someone there with me to share the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment