Wednesday, May 25, 2011

#73. Own a toolbox with all of the basics

What do you consider the ‘basic’s’ of a toolbox? A hammer, screwdriver, tape measure, and some nails? If that’s it then I have more than conquered this task.

You see T is the furthest thing from handy. If you need your computer fixed, or some high tech gadget hooked up then T is your man, if you want something hung, wired, fixed, assembled etc. then that is me.

Furnishing my apartment in my early twenties consisted of numerous trips to Ikea allowing me to become the master of the allen key. This little silver weapon of construction allowed me to build stools that ended up being ‘display only', or tables that had a slight slant. I built numerous bookshelves that if not attached to the wall had a slight tilt – but oh did I love that feeling of accomplishment.


Now since I’ve moved roughly 3,865,258.2 times in the last 10 years (according to my father), these wonderfully built Ikea pieces have had to be moved. Often the pieces that were less than sturdy before the move become more so afterwards prompting me to invest in a drill. The drill allows me to put screws places that aren’t in the design and allows me to hang pictures much quicker than a hammer would.

The trusted drill also allowed me to wire the television in my bathroom. It took me 4 hours, I split cable from the bedroom and ran it through a wall and the back corners of my bathroom vanity, and well it’s not the prettiest job – but it works.

You would think that seems as it took me 4 hours to hook up a TV that I might put the tools away and not take on any more tasks?

Well check out the backsplash that I bought all the tiles and tools for and am installing myself. The finished product will also have a beautiful wood countertop - however, my trip to Ikea with a truck to pick it up hasn't been done yet.

And, I did assemble my new table, and all the chairs!

For Christmas T’s father gave me a handheld sander, so I think next I’ll refinish a dresser or something, or maybe build a shed instead of buy one?!

So yes, I’ve got plenty of tools, and I somewhat know how to use all of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment