Thursday, May 26, 2011

#25. Track down your best friend from kindergarten

This is a really easy task considering Facebook tells you where everyone is, what they are doing, and you can have instant contact with them at any time. The book was written before Facebook so it makes this task seem much more difficult.

As much as kindergarten was a magical place filled with new friends and new toys and storytelling and show and tell, my best friend at the time was still my sister. I was horribly sad to leave her every morning to go and happy to return for play time every afternoon.

I did however find a friend that had the same name as my sister and lived in our neighbourhood. She was close enough to visit and be home before the street lights came on and we both liked Barbie’s a lot. It worked out that we would often be babysat by each other’s parents and would end up driveway chalking or having shoe kicking contests.

We went through public school, high school, and part of university together. She now lives in another city and is getting married.

I rarely go ‘home’ to my home town, but it is strange to drive by the homes of childhood friends that no longer live there. Their families have moved and new people occupy the houses and they change things, and we all know how much I don’t overly enjoy change – especially with childhood memories. However, when I moved to the small town I am in now I not only moved to a town where a childhood friends parents had moved to, but I moved onto their street! It’s surreal and comforting to see them out for walks or in the grocery store as it feels like a little part of ‘home’ is where I am now.

As much as I often hate Facebook for the bombardment of stupid updates and how it wastes so much of my time. I love being able to see what people I have met over the years are up to and congratulating them on their life events.

However, the one person I don’t need Facebook to get updates from as I get emails and phone calls and texts daily is my sister. My best friend in kindergarten and my best friend now.

No comments:

Post a Comment