Wednesday, May 25, 2011

#17. Know the other mouth-to-mouth

When I was a kid my mother made my sister and I take swimming lessons. I remember the first lessons vividly as I feared my life ending from the amount of water that was going up my nose and down my throat. I was petrified of swimming – especially in the deep end. I desperately wanted my water wings back and the safety of my parent’s arms.

Fast track a few years and I had graduated through all the colored levels and had started into the Canadian Red Cross’ Life saving levels. In these levels you build up endurance for long periods in the water and practice saving others in the class from fake drowning. I hated this. Not that in a life or death moment I wouldn’t run into the water to save someone, I would. But the un-necessary touching and fake CPR techniques and being that close to someone you barely know just wasn’t my thing. Nor did I like being the one to be ‘saved’ who knows what that person would grab to try to get you to safety?!

The only thing worse than practicing on other people (where often groups were doing this at the same time) was practicing CPR on a dummy with EVERYONE watching you, and the teacher teaching while you are trying not to vomit from the taste of rubbing alcohol in your mouth. A rubbing alcohol and chlorine cocktail was not one of my favourite concoctions.

However I passed all courses up until Life Saving 3. Then I believe I quit due to wanting to spend my evenings taking art courses instead of swimming lessons. I have never refreshed those CPR skills however they have been ingrained into my brain and if in an emergency situation I am confident I could pull them off.

T & I were sitting in the cottage over the weekend and were both startled by a loud bang. T jumped to his feet and told me not to look that a bird had hit the window. I of course wanting to save the poor creature wanted to check for vitals, and try and save him. It was only when T explained to me that it hadn’t moved since it hit and there is no way it’s neck could have survived impact that I knew bird mouth-to-mouth (I was thinking with a straw!!) was out of the question.

So there folks. I know CPR and am willing to even try it on birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment